Thursday, February 21, 2019

{ Stockton Kazu Ryther }

Stockton my boy. My son! I have a beautiful son.

To start my birth story, let’s go back a week. On Monday, August 6th I had my 38 week check up with Dr. Watts and a non stress test. We did several of those along with several ultrasounds to make sure Stockton was growing how he should because of my history with IUGR. He was always small, but healthy!

That day I told Dr. Watts that I’d been having some contractions and he thought it would be a good idea to strip my membranes to see if we could get me to go into labor on my own. I had an induction date set for August 15th which would put me at 38 1/2 weeks. The exact same delivery timeframe as I was with Scottie. Well the day he stripped my membranes, it threw me into a week long labor! The next day, I lost my mucus plug which I never did with Scottie so I thought ok, this seems like labor because I was having contractions 5-10 mins apart. Of course this was in the middle of the night. They weren’t consistent for the entire 6 hrs I was counting, but they were on and off consistent. I’d never experienced going into labor on my own so I thought this must be it.

Cam and I called Jerry and Lynnette and at 2am, we went to St. Marks to labor and delivery. I was having contractions on my way in, but once I got there and hooked up to the machine, they stopped.

They monitored me for a while, checked my cervix and said I was a 2 and 70% effaced. Since my contractions stopped and I wasn’t making any progress, they sent us home around 6am which puts us at Tuesday morning.

Thursday rolls around and I have another ultrasound and nonstress test. Baby boy looked good! He had dropped from the 11th percentile to the 5th earlier that week so that’s why we set an induction date for him. Dr. Watts was always so kind to call me personally and tell me what the plan was. That day during the ultrasound I had told them that I felt like my amniotic fluid might be leaking. I was at a 10 that day and anything under a 5, they send you to labor and delivery. Since fluid levels were always a concern with my pregnancy, I was so anxious and worried about it. So they told me to go to labor and delivery downstairs and run a test to see if there might be a small hole and that my fluid was slowly leaking.

As I’m undressing and putting on those awful gowns, in comes my nurse. Madi Owens! I danced with Madi at skyline and was an SBO with her as well so it was a fun surprise. She was my nurse! I couldn’t believe it. She asked if I cared that she was my nurse and I’ve always loved Madi so I didn’t mind. Madi got me hooked up to the machine, again, and we monitored. She did the fluid test and said it would take 30 mins to run so she sent the test back to get checked. She checked me and I’d dilated to a 3 but was still 70% effaced. Meanwhile, we caught up, I had a few contractions, talked about how if it was positive they’d keep me there, and then the results came back.

Negative.

I was happy but also sad at the same time because I’d had a decent amount of contractions since my Monday appointment with Dr. Watts. So, Madi sent me home! She told me her schedule for the next few days as I was hoping I might go into labor in the next little while. Madi was leaving town for a week but said she was working Sunday and Monday the next week. We hugged and hoped I would go into labor on those days. So again, I was sent home.

Nighttime rolls around and I’m having painful, 2-5 mins apart contractions, AGAIN! They lasted for 6 hrs in the middle of the night so again, I assumed and thought ok, this HAS to be it. We get in the car to go to labor and delivery for the third time. I fill out the same paperwork I’ve filled out three times, then they put us into a room.

They hook me up to the machine and check my cervix. I’d dilated to a 3 so I made some progress but was still 70% effaced. My contractions weren’t regular at this point so they told me to walk the hospital for an hour. Cam and I went outside to walk and we walked down a few streets into a neighborhood. I couldn’t help but feel so incredibly embarrassed that I kept going into labor and delivery and getting false alarms so I just started to cry. I wanted baby boy here so badly but also I was in so much pain. I thought this was it.

We head over to 711, buy a drink and a few donuts and head back.

They checked me and again, sent us home.

I was done thinking I was going into labor on my own at this point. The weekend went by, slowly, but surely. My mom had us over for yakiniku on Sunday and it was delicious as always. During dinner I was having more contractions that were more painful. I was having to stop to hold the arms of the chair while having them. They were SO uncomfortable.

We went home that night and again. Contractions 2-5 minutes apart ALL night after midnight. I was too scared to pull the trigger and wake Cam up so I just endured them. By 6am I couldn’t take the pain. I called the on call Dr because I was nervous to make the wrong decision again. I stared to cry a little and was having contractions on the phone and had to pause while I was trying to explain my symptoms. The Dr on Call told me, you know it sounds like you’re in a lot of pain I can hear you contracting so maybe wait another 20 mins, if they’re consistent still, come on in.

So I did just that. I went upstairs to put on makeup, and the contractions weren’t stopping. At that point I thought I must be at least dilated to a 6 because I was in so much pain.

We get to labor and delivery around 9 am, they hook me up, Check my cervix and I’m still a 3. HOW?! Luckily Madi was working that day and I just broke down and asked her if Dr watts would keep me there and induce me because my induction date was two days away anyways. I was in so much pain and could take another long night of contractions. She said she’d go talk to him and meanwhile had me get dressed to walk for an hr again. The next thing I know i see Dr watts pop his head in and ask how I’m doing. I started to cry again and was explaining to him how I first felt so stupid and second how I was in so much pain. He was so sweet and told me he wanted to just come give me a hug and told me he was going to keep me there. I immediately had a huge sense of relief come over me. No more pain! He asked if that was ok with me and of course I said YES! The nurses still had me walk to see if I could dilate any further. I walked the hospital, stopped for contractions, had lots of stares as people knew EXACTLY what I was trying to do. It was kind of funny actually to see people’s reactions. A giant prego lady walking the halls and stopping mid walk to breathe through a contraction.

Cam went to get some food since we knew we’d be locked in for a while and wouldn’t be eating anytime soon. He got a Betos burrito, I got a McDonald’s hashbrown, yogurt parfait and orange juice.

Once we finished breakfast it was about 11am. They had a room ready for me so they sent us off to room 4 to deliver and meet our baby boy!

My cute nurse was an older lady, her name was Gaylene and she was the sweetest. She started to prep me and attempted to do an IV. She, and the head nurse blew 3 veins and at this point, I’m crying again. I’m having painful contractions and not only having PTSD from the first experience (they blew 4 veins with Scottie), but am in pain on both arms again. Both my hands felt broken. They asked the anesthesiologist to come in to try because my veins are apparently tiny. The anesthesiologist finally got a vein in my hand, but it took a long time and Cam said it looked like the worst experience ever. I just stared at the ceiling and closed my eyes, trying to forget about the pain.

By this time it’s around noon and the anesthesiologist was getting ready to do my epidural. I was in so much pain and having contractions so when he asked me to curl up in a ball, I struggled big time. This was the absolute worst experience and worst pain I think I’ve felt! The Dr couldn’t get the epidural right so he had to do it twice. By this time I’m drenched in sweat and feeling like I’m going to throw up. Gaylene gave me a zofran to help and was wiping my face with a cold cloth. She I was so sweet and I was so grateful for her. She just held my hand and was comforting me just the way I needed comfort. Once the epidural was successfully placed, I started to feel better. Thank goodness for modern medicine!

Once my IV was in, gaylene checked me and I was a 4 which meant I was progressing on my own! I was going into labor! Dr Watts came in and told us that he’d come back in a while to break my water. He came back around 2:30 pm and I’d dilated to a 5 1/2 when he broke my water. When he broke my water, he said not much at all came out. So they decided to put the monitor around Stockton’s head just as they did with Scottie. They also decided to put fluid in so that the umbilical cord wouldn’t collapse. Around this time Madi came in to be my delivery nurse!

I remember every time I contracted, fluid would come out just like a normal delivery would. THATS what it feels like to pee your pants and have no control?! Haha I laughed every time.

I stalled at a 5 1/2 for a while so they decided to put me on pitocin at this point. They put me on pitocin for an hour and then took me off to progress on my own. It was 4 pm at I was a 6. I got the epidural shakes really bad during labor so Mari and Cam would put pressure on my entire body to try to help me. I remember my entire jaw hurting so bad from shaking. Madi kept checking on me and we kept catching up. By 5 pm I was an 8. Then as we were talking I told Mari, I feel like he’s coming out. So we rang the nurse button and Madi came in to check me. Sure enough it was 5:55 pm and baby Stockton was making his entrance! I was a 10! I couldn’t believe it was here already.

Dr Watts came through the door and we were ready to push. I pushed for five minutes and then the most beautiful baby boy was born. I sobbed. Sobbed so many tears because I was grateful for this human and was so happy he was safe! Cam and I brought this amazing son into our lives and I couldn’t believe it. Someone I love so dearly to raise a son with.

Stockton Kazu Ryther was 6 lb 2.8 oz and 19 in long. Born at 6:05 pm. He is the sweetest little soul and I’m grateful he’s ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment